Women Empowered is a program of 1628 created in December of 2019 by Tamara Schwarting and myself. The membership-exclusive site is an incubator for female entrepreneurs and hub of resources from training to socializing. While I was familiar with Brilliant Directories, a bootstrap version of wordpress that enables users to create large robust directories, I was not prepared for how much fun engaging in the online facebook community would be. I recommend this style project for anyone on a budget and time crunch – easy to use and well supported!
Visualization Technology Services originally approached Cinci360 with a wix site in need of a client web portal system that integrated service offerings, a ticketing system, and eventually a site compatible as a webapp. The site was migrated in July, with ecommerce support added in the fall and eventually an offer to join the team in December.
VTS’s website presented a unique challenge from a client portal persective. Their company houses extremely large data files and keeping cost down is a challenge. I look forward to continually supporting and working on this project.
Performance Plastics website was created in 2017 with the help of Stonebridge Media using WordPress and Enfold. The client needed sections specific to their torlon aircraft tools, Endurosharp, Youtube Ads across Google Surfaces, and a facility 3D tour. The entire project took a little under five months with eight demo videos cut for trade shows, dozens of product photos captured, and ongoing virtual tour hosting.
Puterbaugh Farms was created in 2019 to support the Horse Stables and Event Center in Elkhart, Indiana. The facility was documented in 3D, including the stables, riding arena, and event barn. A Google My Business Maps listing was created and verified for the client, and anual support services created.
Reality Capture Experts website was initiated in late 2017 with the help of Greg Welch and Dustin Gardner. We created a directory-style site aimed and sourcing 3D Reality Capture leads for a community of service providers. We started with a WordPress platform using Thrive Themes incorporating a directory that was later migrated to Brilliant Directories under a seperate We Capture 3D brand.
In early 2016 Kilgour Elementary School’s parent teacher association looked for a qualified parent to recreate their Joomla website. This involved learning a new open-source based platform that was relatively complex for weekly use of nearly 600 families. Adding regular media assets to the sliders, staying on top of events, all without the easy help of WordPress plugins was a challenge. I enjoyed the simple file stucture of the new platform, but not the content management system.
Most school PTAs have no need for adding SEO services, however I made it a point to add anchor texts, breadcrumbs, alt text, and links whenever possible. The resulting site was enough to keep parents happy for 3 years before an eventual overhaul by the next qualified parent.
1628 Ltd is a Coworking office located in the historic Doctor’s Building in Cincinnati Ohio. It was founded in 2016 by Tamara Schwarting1. The name 1628 derives from the moment in history when the word, ‘coworking’ is first published in a book by John Jackson titled “The Worthy Church-Man.” The three-story 6000 square foot facility was chosen to for its historic background across from Piatt Park.
The contemporary interior design was completed by HighStreet design and has been recognized for its visual appeal and hospitality. 1628 coworking curates art from local art collectors, galleries, and institutions on a quarterly basis. Each time they hang a new exhibition, 1628 hosts an opening for members and artists. Installations have included:
- Spring 2017: Elevate: Celebrating Inspiring Art In partnership with Wave Pool
- Summer 2017: Natural Order: An exhibition of works from the Art Academy of Cincinnati
- Fall 2017: Urban Tapestry: Photography exhibition featuring work from local photographers
- Winter 2017: Treasures in Black & White
- Spring 2018: The Pieces I Am
- Summer 2018: Chro•Ma
- Fall 2018: Behind the Mask6
- Winter 2019: Before | Now
- Spring 2019: /just to be alive/7
- Summer 2019: No Vacancy
In March 2019, 1628 Ltd expanded for a second time from the original 6000 square feet to 16000 square feet, adding second and third-floor private offices.8 1628 hosts a variety of private events and meetings for companies based in Cincinnati or companies looking to grow a presence in the region including BS LLC, Graydon, TDA, High Street, Cushman Wakefield, HuDawn, and Annette Navarro.
- Purnell, Hannah (2017-01-10). “Beyond the coffee shop: Cincy co-working scene diversifies to meet growing demand”. Forbes. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- Women, Elevate (2018-11-30). “What To Consider When Designing A Workplace That Inspires”. Forbes. Retrieved 2018-11-30.
- Jackson, John (1628-01-01). The Worth Church-man. Book. Retrieved 2019-01-01.
- MERRITT, Jennifer (2017-04-22). “If A Boutique Hotel And An Office Had A Baby, It Would Be The Co-Working Space 1628”. Cincinnati Refined. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- Konnermann, Alyssa (2018-10-05). “FOUR DOWNTOWN SPOTS WHERE YOU CAN GET TO WORK”. Cincinnati Magazine. Retrieved 2018-10-05.
- Radio, WVXU (2018-09-12).“Behind the Mask: Contemporary Portraiture and the Pursuit of Self”. WVXU Public Broadcast. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- Picks, CAA (2019-04-02). “CWA PICKS FOR APRIL 2019”. CAA News. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- Caproni, Erin (2019-03-27). “Downtown Cincinnati coworking space expands”. CAA News. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
It was suprisingly satisfying to find the very first public website redesigned and built by Aubrey (Bock) Backscheider was archieved on the Wayback Machine. This was a project completed for the Purdue Univeristy Dean of student’s office under Dean Akers in spring sememster of 2001. At the time Dreamweaver was the popular design tool, and the graphics found on the page were gifs created from scratch.
In addition to dreamweaver, I used a Nikon coolpix (one of the first ‘selfie’ cameras) to add better visual elements including staff photos and interior building photos. I was one of three hundred students to apply for the job as the hourly pay was very high and a recommendation from Dean Akers solidified my elidgibility as a student councelor. It is still one of my fondest Purdue memories and I’m happy to have found a version of it available online!
Emmett Ridge Farms was founded by Jeremy and Lauren Boswell on the former site of Lindale Golf Course in November 2018. Emmett Ridge Farm was established to demonstrate improved mixed-land use agricultural methods incorporating an entire ecosystem. They are known for their ethical animal treatment and fair land use, returning much of the nutrients consumed by animals back to the land in a continuous farming cycle. This crop-livestock system has been found to have a net positive impact on the environment and animals while enabling local communities to be less dependant on global food supply chains.1,2
After dedicating his early career to the marine corp, Jeremy Boswell moved from North Carolina back to Batavia Ohio where he met his wife in 2003. Lauren Boswell has a degree in communications from Miami University and works in the veterinary pharmaceutical field. Together they shared a dream of experimenting with improved agricultural techniques and bought their first property in 2008.
The original Emmett Ridge Farm was located in Brown County Ohio. The name ‘Emmett’ was chosen for a Germanic definition of hard-working and industrious leader.3 Part of its original structures was moved to be incorporated into the new location in Amelia, Ohio in 2018. The farm sits on 132 acres with 7 ponds and an accessible concrete path winding through the entire property. Emmett Ridge has plans to create a lasting impact on the agricultural history of Clermont County through its mixed-land use and agricultural techniques.
Emmett Ridge Farms grows kale, strawberries, blueberries, honey bees. More importantly, Boswell invested in heritage breed dogs and Highland livestock which are known for their light grazing. The farm also raises chickens and turkeys on pasture. Emmett Ridge experimented with stock-raising, crop rotation, soil fertilization, and diversified farming—rather than the usual focus on a one or two cash crops—as a solution to many of the agricultural challenges of the day.
Their collective ten years of farming experience have shown that man’s agricultural activities must be balanced with the environment’s capacity to sustain them. 4 Added benefits of diversified agro-ecosystem also include natural pest control.5
After moving locations, the Boswells decided to dedicate a new event facility to driving the education of ethical farming. In May 2019 they established the Emmett Ridge Event Center consisting of 8000 square feet of event space and a full-service kitchen. The mixed-use facility is particularly distinctive, consisting of two large ballroom wings joined by a connecting hallway with its own gambrel roof and a full-service bar. They are excited to start hosting corporate events, team building, educational field trips, and weddings with a farm to table feel.
- 1.Gibon A. Mixed crop-livestock systems: An economic and environmental-friendly way of farming? . Cambridge University Press. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/animal/article/mixed-croplivestock-systems-an-economic-and-environmentalfriendly-way-of-farming/85BE7A8AAC973A6CC3CD0D075B71AF0E. Published October 1, 2012. Accessed May 19, 2019.
- 2.Monzote F. Farming like we’re here to stay : the mixed farming alternative for Cuba. Wageningen University & Research staff. https://library.wur.nl/WebQuery/wurpubs/369587. Published January 1, 2008. Accessed May 18, 2019.
- 3.Press BC. Local family operates ethically raised animal facility. Brown County Press. https://browncountypress.com/news/305/local-family-operates-ethically-raised-animal-facility. Published July 14, 2016. Accessed May 5, 2019.
- 4.Blackburn H, Steinfeild H. Chapter 3: Mixed Farming Systems & the Environment. Commission of the European Communities, the World Bank; 1995:132. http://www.fao.org/3/x5303e/x5303e09.htm#chapter%203:%20mixed%20farming%20systems%20&%20the%20environment. Accessed May 19, 2019.
- 5.Links A. Diversifying Agro-Ecosystems to Suppress Crop Pests. Agrilinks Feed the Future. https://www.agrilinks.org/post/diversifying-agroecosystems-suppress-crop-pests. Published June 1, 2018. Accessed May 5, 2019.
City Homes at Wasson Way takes an innovative approach to improve communities by adopting Smart Growth principles. As a LEED certified developer, Kenneth French founded the Habitation Development Group in 2010 to create inspiring designs and maximizing the use of public space in a compact design.
This project offers community benefits without degrading the value of nearby housing. The tax value and usage of the land would increase without disrupting a major traffic zone or existing zoning laws. Habitation Development Group has gone the extra mile to LEED certify his homes as shown in previous projects around Cincinnati. He has taken the availability of walking trails and commercial services into account, making the location of the development ideal for long-term disabled residents. The proposal includes amenities to be donated to the park and residents of the development, which long-term will help with the overall security of Wasson Way. For this reason, Cinci360 is happy to support the proposed development.
City Homes are slated to present their development ideas to the Oakey and Hyde Park community councils. If you are interested in learning more about their project, you can attend one of these events or read about their proposal here.