Emmett Ridge Farms was founded by Jeremy and Lauren Boswell on the former site of Lindale Golf Course in November 2018. Emmett Ridge Farm was established to demonstrate improved mixed-land use agricultural methods incorporating an entire ecosystem. They are known for their ethical animal treatment and fair land use, returning much of the nutrients consumed by animals back to the land in a continuous farming cycle. This crop-livestock system has been found to have a net positive impact on the environment and animals while enabling local communities to be less dependant on global food supply chains.1,2
After dedicating his early career to the marine corp, Jeremy Boswell moved from North Carolina back to Batavia Ohio where he met his wife in 2003. Lauren Boswell has a degree in communications from Miami University and works in the veterinary pharmaceutical field. Together they shared a dream of experimenting with improved agricultural techniques and bought their first property in 2008.
The original Emmett Ridge Farm was located in Brown County Ohio. The name ‘Emmett’ was chosen for a Germanic definition of hard-working and industrious leader.3 Part of its original structures was moved to be incorporated into the new location in Amelia, Ohio in 2018. The farm sits on 132 acres with 7 ponds and an accessible concrete path winding through the entire property. Emmett Ridge has plans to create a lasting impact on the agricultural history of Clermont County through its mixed-land use and agricultural techniques.
Emmett Ridge Farms grows kale, strawberries, blueberries, honey bees. More importantly, Boswell invested in heritage breed dogs and Highland livestock which are known for their light grazing. The farm also raises chickens and turkeys on pasture. Emmett Ridge experimented with stock-raising, crop rotation, soil fertilization, and diversified farming—rather than the usual focus on a one or two cash crops—as a solution to many of the agricultural challenges of the day.
Their collective ten years of farming experience have shown that man’s agricultural activities must be balanced with the environment’s capacity to sustain them. 4 Added benefits of diversified agro-ecosystem also include natural pest control.5
After moving locations, the Boswells decided to dedicate a new event facility to driving the education of ethical farming. In May 2019 they established the Emmett Ridge Event Center consisting of 8000 square feet of event space and a full-service kitchen. The mixed-use facility is particularly distinctive, consisting of two large ballroom wings joined by a connecting hallway with its own gambrel roof and a full-service bar. They are excited to start hosting corporate events, team building, educational field trips, and weddings with a farm to table feel.
- 1.Gibon A. Mixed crop-livestock systems: An economic and environmental-friendly way of farming? . Cambridge University Press. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/animal/article/mixed-croplivestock-systems-an-economic-and-environmentalfriendly-way-of-farming/85BE7A8AAC973A6CC3CD0D075B71AF0E. Published October 1, 2012. Accessed May 19, 2019.
- 2.Monzote F. Farming like we’re here to stay : the mixed farming alternative for Cuba. Wageningen University & Research staff. https://library.wur.nl/WebQuery/wurpubs/369587. Published January 1, 2008. Accessed May 18, 2019.
- 3.Press BC. Local family operates ethically raised animal facility. Brown County Press. https://browncountypress.com/news/305/local-family-operates-ethically-raised-animal-facility. Published July 14, 2016. Accessed May 5, 2019.
- 4.Blackburn H, Steinfeild H. Chapter 3: Mixed Farming Systems & the Environment. Commission of the European Communities, the World Bank; 1995:132. http://www.fao.org/3/x5303e/x5303e09.htm#chapter%203:%20mixed%20farming%20systems%20&%20the%20environment. Accessed May 19, 2019.
- 5.Links A. Diversifying Agro-Ecosystems to Suppress Crop Pests. Agrilinks Feed the Future. https://www.agrilinks.org/post/diversifying-agroecosystems-suppress-crop-pests. Published June 1, 2018. Accessed May 5, 2019.