1628 Ltd is a Coworking office located in the historic Doctor’s Building in Cincinnati Ohio. It was founded in 2016 by Tamara Schwarting1. The name 1628 derives from the moment in history when the word, ‘coworking’ is first published in a book by John Jackson titled “The Worthy Church-Man.” The three-story 6000 square foot facility was chosen to for its historic background across from Piatt Park.
The contemporary interior design was completed by HighStreet design and has been recognized for its visual appeal and hospitality. 1628 coworking curates art from local art collectors, galleries, and institutions on a quarterly basis. Each time they hang a new exhibition, 1628 hosts an opening for members and artists. Installations have included:
- Spring 2017: Elevate: Celebrating Inspiring Art In partnership with Wave Pool
- Summer 2017: Natural Order: An exhibition of works from the Art Academy of Cincinnati
- Fall 2017: Urban Tapestry: Photography exhibition featuring work from local photographers
- Winter 2017: Treasures in Black & White
- Spring 2018: The Pieces I Am
- Summer 2018: Chro•Ma
- Fall 2018: Behind the Mask6
- Winter 2019: Before | Now
- Spring 2019: /just to be alive/7
- Summer 2019: No Vacancy
In March 2019, 1628 Ltd expanded for a second time from the original 6000 square feet to 16000 square feet, adding second and third-floor private offices.8 1628 hosts a variety of private events and meetings for companies based in Cincinnati or companies looking to grow a presence in the region including BS LLC, Graydon, TDA, High Street, Cushman Wakefield, HuDawn, and Annette Navarro.
- Purnell, Hannah (2017-01-10). “Beyond the coffee shop: Cincy co-working scene diversifies to meet growing demand”. Forbes. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- Women, Elevate (2018-11-30). “What To Consider When Designing A Workplace That Inspires”. Forbes. Retrieved 2018-11-30.
- Jackson, John (1628-01-01). The Worth Church-man. Book. Retrieved 2019-01-01.
- MERRITT, Jennifer (2017-04-22). “If A Boutique Hotel And An Office Had A Baby, It Would Be The Co-Working Space 1628”. Cincinnati Refined. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- Konnermann, Alyssa (2018-10-05). “FOUR DOWNTOWN SPOTS WHERE YOU CAN GET TO WORK”. Cincinnati Magazine. Retrieved 2018-10-05.
- Radio, WVXU (2018-09-12).“Behind the Mask: Contemporary Portraiture and the Pursuit of Self”. WVXU Public Broadcast. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- Picks, CAA (2019-04-02). “CWA PICKS FOR APRIL 2019”. CAA News. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- Caproni, Erin (2019-03-27). “Downtown Cincinnati coworking space expands”. CAA News. Retrieved 2019-03-27.